Saturday, April 26, 2014

One More Year...

This post is a little more personal than my usual stuff, but these thoughts have been on my mind a lot lately, so I thought I'd share.

Finishing up this semester hasn't given me that relieved feeling I'm so used to feeling when the end of the school year rolls around. Instead, I just keep thinking, "One more year."

After general conference, Austin and I both had a really strong feeling that the way I had planned out school--finishing December 2015 then working while Austin went back to school--wasn't quite what Heavenly Father had in mind for us. We felt like it was putting our family on hold a little too long. Ever since then, I have felt so strongly that I need to get into gear and just push through these last few semesters, finishing a semester earlier than planned. That means taking heavy credit loads for three semesters (Summer, Fall, Spring) instead of having four of the easiest semesters of my college career. But it also means that I'll graduate in one year, be a certified American Sign Language interpreter that much sooner, and be able to move on with our family and life plans.

Even though that stresses me out, it also feels good. Good to know that Heavenly Father is watching out for us and has a plan for me, even if it wasn't quite what my little brain had in mind.

I have been more than a little jealous of all the people graduating this month. All the graduations mean we are losing some of our favorite neighbors, which we are pretty bummed about. I just have to keep thinking, "One more year," and pray that Heavenly Father will help me through this crazy time. It's hard to wrap my brain around all the changes that will be happening in our family next year. We will likely move. I will take my interpreting certification tests, complete an internship, graduate, and hopefully get a great job interpreting. If it's God's will, we might even add another person to our family (NOT a pregnancy announcement, don't worry. Just speculation). Austin has always wanted kids closer together (I think we are a little backwards in the kids department--he has always been the one to know it's time, while I tend to be a little slower to realize God's plan in that part of our life), and it is exciting to think that we might have another one before next year is done.

Thinking about all that can be pretty overwhelming. I will be up to my eyeballs in school for the next year, taking care of Zia, possibly having another baby soonish (if you follow me on Pinterest, that thought has been inspiring some of my pins lately...haha), taking up a 15-hour-a-week internship for a semester, all while trying to stay on top of my duties at home and church. Austin, sweetheart that he is, will be picking up a lot of the slack. He is going back to working part-time to accommodate my increasingly busy schedule, which also means we are taking out some student loans to help us survive. See what I mean by overwhelming?

But at the same time, I have never been so excited in my life. I am at such a happy, wonderful point in my life right now, but there is so much more waiting just around the corner. I have felt a lot of peace and comfort in the midst of my inner turmoil just by remembering that Heavenly Father has wonderful things planned for me. Life has never gone quite the way I planned, but it somehow always seems to go better. Meeting Austin when I least expected it, having Zia within our first year of marriage, and realizing that we might have two kids before Austin even goes back to work--all of that is something I never planned for myself. Yet those things bring me more joy than my old, boring plans ever could have brought.

Anyway, I hope that wasn't too personal. I know that most of the people who read my little old blog are just friends and family, so I felt okay about sharing it.

Did general conference bring any life-changing realizations your way?

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that is beautiful, Honey. I love how personally the Spirit can teach us at general conference. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete