Thursday, January 30, 2014

Mommy and Me Matching Shirts Tutorial

This post has been waiting to be written for a while, and I am very excited to finally be posting it! After buying a lovely pile of fabric with my leftover Christmas money at JoAnn's, I decided that I absolutely had to make matching sweaters for Z and myself out of this adorable, barely fuzzy, sweater-type material. We have worn them to church twice now (I told you this tutorial has been in the works for a while!), and we have gotten lots of sweet compliments on them. The best part is, they are super easy! They come together really fast. All in all, they have been a hit, and I want you to be able to make some, too!

mommy and me matching shirts, matching shirts, mommy and baby, baby girl, leopard print shirts, diy shirts


Mommy and Me Matching Shirts Tutorial

You will need:
  • Stretchy fabric (I would get 2 yards, especially if your fabric is directional. I like to err on the side of caution, though!)
  • Contrasting knit fabric or ribbing for the collar, cuffs, and bottom of the shirt
  • Sewing machine/serger, thread, scissors, rotary cutter and mat, pins, etc.
Step 1: Lay a shirt that fits well out on your folded fabric. Fold the sleeves down from the armpit seam to the edge of the neck so that it makes a straight line. Trim along the bottom, top, and one edge, leaving 1/2 inch for a seam allowance.



Step 2: This picture doesn't show it very well, but all you need to do is the piece in half, matching up the corners of the bottom and top of the shirt and cutting up the last side. (Doing it this way just helps make sure that it's symmetrical.)

Note: If you would like to make this into a dress (like I did in my baby version), simply continue the line of the shirt down to the desired length.


It should look something like this.


Step 3: Cut out the sleeves. Folding along that same line I mentioned earlier (from armpit to edge of collar), this time measure and cut the sleeves. Make sure the fold and seam on your original shirt match up with the fold and seam on your new sleeves.


It will look something like this.


Step 4: Lay your main body pieces together, right sides together. Match up the sleeves (also right sides facing in), matching the edges of the armpits (the tops might not match up perfectly, but we'll fix that later). Pin in place.


A little bit farther away.


And it is already starting to look like a shirt!


Step 5: Sew along the front and back shoulder seams (use a serger or stretch/zigzag stitch). The sleeve and side of the shirt will still be open.


Steps 6 and 7: Pin all along the sleeves and the side of the shirt and sew.


Step 8: Flip it right side out, and put it on. Mark where you want the shirt to end at the bottom and on the sleeves.



Step 9: Trim off excess fabric.


Step 10: Using your contrasting fabric, cut strips 3 inches wide. Fold and trim them to the same size as your sleeve, including 1/4 inch seam allowance.

Note: You will notice that the pictures up to this point have been of my shirt. For the edges, I am using pictures of Zia's dress. The steps are exactly the same for the adult shirt, though I should note that I stole my edges from a shirt I didn't like that was the same style, so mine are not all 3 inch wide strips. The cuffs and bottom of the shirt are probably about 6 inches wide. The collar is quite thin, but I am thinking about redoing it. Anyway, this is the way to do it "from scratch." Just clarifying!


Step 11: Repeat for the bottom edge of the shirt.

Step 12: For this piece of edging, I like to cut it just a little smaller than the exact edge of the shirt to help it lay flat.


Step 13: Make sure right sides are together, and sew up the short edge.


Step 14: Fold each little piece in half with the seam on the inside. This will leave you with a short, fat tube that has a fold on the bottom and raw edges on top.


Step 15: Take each piece and pin it in place, raw edges together. Match seams where possible.


I put the seam on the collar in the back. Since the collar band is just slightly smaller than the neckline on the shirt, you will need to stretch it just a little bit.


Step 16: Sew all of your edges. With the collar, stretch the fabric as needed to make both pieces lay flat as you sew.


Ta-da! Zia's little dress is too cute!


Forgive my selfies...



Embellish with a cute bow!


Then take a church selfie since you are just too cute to not do so. ;)


Come on, doesn't every mommy secretly want to have matching outfits with her baby girl?

mommy and me matching shirts, matching shirts, mommy and baby, baby girl, leopard print shirts, diy shirts

This one's my favorite. I'm so glad I made Z's little matchy bow. Too cute!


mommy and me matching shirts, matching shirts, mommy and baby, baby girl, leopard print shirts, diy shirts

With our cute daddy. :) We're lucky to have him!


That's it! Two adorable shirts in just a few steps. Even a beginner can tackle this project! I hope you do!

-Malia

No comments:

Post a Comment